Displays Checklist for NQTs
So you got the job! Well done! Now the panic starts. I know you will be full of excited enthusiasm and raring to sort out ‘your’ new classroom. Breathe, and read this Displays checklist for NQTs before you do anything rash.These are the things you need to consider now:
- Check school displays policy (should be in Welcome pack or on website)
- Try to have a chat with your NQT mentor before the end of term about what the school expects and if you will have displays help
- Ask if the school uses specific fonts and colours
- Find out what, if any, displays outside your classroom will be your responsibility.
- Once you have a class list make several sets of labels. Save time and stress by using editable ones from sites like Teachers Pet or Twinkle.
- Try not to spend your own money on display materials. They will be provided. See the Display Makers Toolbox for useful things you might want to buy.
- Use the transition day to generate some sort of quick ‘getting to know you’ display that you can have up on the first day.
- If you are in the UK avoid US based classroom design sites. Display here is more education than decoration.
- Read this post about Display Basics
- Join the Classroom Displays Monthly mailing list (see sidebar to sign up)
NQTchecklist – a printable version of the checklist for you to download.
Works for newly appointed teaching assistants too!
Oh and you might like to join the self-study Classroom Displays Starter Course, if you really want to go on studying rather than just enjoying the summer!