This is a lovely history classroom wall display for a key stage 1 class. The Then and Now topic is interesting but can be tricky for Year 1. They have so little concept of the past at this age. Last year seems an age ago to some of them
It’s a great opportunity for embedding ICT though. It’s worth remembering that ICT in Key Stage 1 isn’t all about computers. I’ve seen it taught very effectively using the following resources:
- Tape recorder to tape invited in grandparent’s recollections of the seaside,
- a Slideshow of seaside images from the past up on the IWB
- Magic Grandad Seaside Holiday (Magic Grandad) used on the IWB
- Begged and borrowed photos of the local seaside, then and now (This was in Lancaster so Morecambe is just down the road)
- Learning and recording a variety of old seaside songs (favourites like “Oh I do like to be beside the seaside” etc.)
- A classroom timeline border that stayed up and got longer through the year.
- Softease timeline CD
- Clicker grids for My Seaside Holiday
- Role play room transformed into a beach and seaside cafe.
- Robust hand held tape recorders for interviewing each other in role
Image Source:Angela Oxen