The Classroom Displays Starter Course
.What is the Classroom Displays Starter Course?
On the surface? It’s about learning the bones of making effective displays.
But really? It’s about making your classroom a better place to learn.
Who is it for?
This course is ideal if you are unsure where to start with displays. If you struggle to find ideas or worry about your displays being boring then this will help.
The course is suitable for teaching assistants, school based librarians and recently qualified teachers, or any one else who has responsibility for making classroom displays. We use mostly UK primary and secondary school classroom displays as examples. However, the course has been used and enjoyed by over 300 people from all over the world including Canada, Australia, New Zealand, UEA, Argentina, The Netherlands, India and the US.
What will I learn?
By the end of the Basic Classroom Displays Course
- You will understand how to make your displays really work for your learners
- You will know where to look for display ideas and resources
- You will be able to use basic design principles to make your displays stand out.
- You will confidently use colour in your displays and know how best to mount children’s work.
- You will choose from a range of lettering styles to find the ones that best suit your display.
Best of all, you’ll have the experience of looking at lots of other people’s displays and seeing how to improve them. Once you do that it becomes much easier to see how to improve your own!
It costs just £35.99.
Book Now Using PayPal or Credit Card:
More About the Classroom Displays Starter Course
- The course will consist of:
- 4 lessons presented in a password protected area of this site
- Associated videos and/or slide shows
- A practical task each week related to the topic
- Access to a private community area
- A Certificate of Completion for those who finish and share all the tasks
- A PDF file of your lessons for you to keep.
The course is ideal for people who want basic classroom displays training. See below if you are looking for a more advanced displays course 1
What would this be worth to you?
This on-line course is available for just £35.99 (GBP). 2
Contact me if you have problems using PayPal and I will arrange an alternative method but remember you do not need a PayPal account to use the service.
The course content for each week is:
- An introduction to various sites online that you might find useful.
- How to get the most from your online course
Week 1 – why we have displays and starting to look at displays as learning objects. A video about why we make displays. The task involves looking at a display and working out the aims and objectives.
Week 2 – Some general design guidelines and related slide show. The task is to plan and share a display that follows some of the guidelines you have learned.
Week 3 – The use of colour in displays and mounting work for display, a slide show with examples of displays. The task is to print out, mount and share a provided piece of work.
Week 4 – Choosing lettering and fonts for displays, a slide show with examples of displays. The task is to plan and share a display using an appropriate kind of lettering.
The lessons will be here on the site in a password protected area where you can also leave comments or ask questions.
Frequently Asked Questions
I ran the first on-line Classroom Displays training course in early 2010 for a small group. I’ve been running it several times a year since then, changing and updating the content as time went on. I have had very positive responses from students.
What do I have to do?
You are expected to read the course materials, it works best if you join in discussions on the site and complete the practical tasks.
You can share your completed tasks in the private section of the website. You might also want to share your ideas on the Facebook page or via the Flickr Group, maybe even on Twitter. Sometimes people prefer to respond privately to the tasks by email & that’s fine too.
You keep your access to all the lessons on-line for an agreed period, with an extension if you need it to complete the tasks.
You also get a pdf file of the lessons that you can keep and work through at your own pace.
Do I have to be in class at certain times?
No, there are no set times when you have to be in class. The lessons are posted to the private course blog and emailed to you on set days, but this is a self-paced course, so you can fit it in whenever is best for you. Expect to spend about an hour or two on the course each week.
Is there a tutor?
Yes, I am the tutor for the course. I’m only an email away whether you want to ask about any of the course materials or just chat about your display problems. I give constructive feedback on your weekly tasks and try to help you solve any display related issues.
The course fees are in British pounds – do you accept payment in dollars/euros?
Yes! Payment is made via PayPal, which automatically converts currency for you. To check the current exchange rate, visit this useful online currency converter. If you don’t have a PayPal account use can still pay using a credit card (PayPal will provide instructions when you check out).
Do I have to share photos of my displays or answers to the tasks?
No, it’s not compulsory to share your photos, though sharing as a group is a wonderful way to gain new insights into your display ideas. We’ll all be focusing on the same aim – to learn more about making effective displays– so the private blog will be a safe place to share. If you don’t want to share in the group you can always email me your responses.
How is the Displays course run?
The class focuses on weekly assignments, backed up with a blog post and exercises. All content will also be posted to the private course blog. I send out a weekly email with your lesson and your weekly task. I reply to blog comments and to any tasks you send me.
What special equipment do I need
- Internet access
- An email account
Optional but nice to have:
- A printer
- A digital camera, your phone is fine!
What happens after the course
When you complete the course I send you a pdf certificate of achievement to print out and keep in your CPD folder. The main thing though is that you should be buzzing with new confidence in your displays ability and full of ideas. I hope that we’ll be able to keep in touch and I’m always glad to see display photos from course participants.
How it Works
- You pay for the course using Papal. (You can use Paypal as a guest – you do not need a Paypal account)
- You get an email back from me within 24 hours to welcome you to the course, check your email address and find out a bit about you.
- Once the course starts I send you the password and regular emails with the lessons.
Book now – Only £35.99 (GBP).
Need to Know More?
Comments are now closed on this page but if you have questions about the course use this form and I will contact you by email.
- If you are already comfortable with the basics of display and want to explore the topic in more depth you might be interested in the Advanced Classroom Displays Course. See below for dates. More details available click here ↩
- Find out how much that is in other currencies from Google currency converter ↩